Click above to enlarge or click here for pdf version.
ISSA officials met with state legislators Jan. 31 at the Travel Federation of Iowa's annual Legislative Showcase. Members promoted snowmobiling in Iowa and also discussed its proposed legislative package for 2017.
Senate Bill to Increase Funding for Local Clubs Passes Unanimously A bill presented by the Senate Natural Resources Committee to increase the share of snowmobile registration receipts to local snowmobile clubs in Iowa passed unanimously March 13 49-0. Now heading over to the House for debate, Senate File 472 calls for at least 70 percent of the revenue to be earmarked for the local side and the remaining 30 percent for the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (IDNR). Currently, "at least 50 percent goes to the local side and up to 50 percent goes to the state side for administration and law enforcement," explained Past ISSA President Terry Durby, chair of the ISSA's Legislative Committee. As detailed in the brochure below, the ISSA had lobbied for 80 percent of the funds, but reducing its asking by 10 percent "was a compromise we have worked with the IDNR on and would make significant differences to the availability of funds for the clubs," Durby said. Support will continue to be needed for this legislation as it moves through the legislative calendar. You can find out who your elected representative is by clicking here.